Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Whiplash

Just as I posted yesterday's blog, the ortho resident came in and said that they thought that he didn't have a knee infection. Yea, relief!
[and I notice myself immediately putting my "we may be able to manage our way through this crisis" head back on]
And then the Hemo NP whom I have a lot of respect for came by and said that she thought they weren't interpreting the data correctly and she thought that he did.
[and my head whips back into "we're on the slippery slope"]
The day progressed, I checked in with Hospice again; they're just waiting for the word. Despite the pain meds and antibiotics, he's more confused, more in twilight sleep/dream land, and calling out with moans.

Clarity came later in the day:
Theory 1
He has a blood infection which is landing in several sites in his bod, perhaps even his heart valves. 48 to 72 hours of IV antibiotics should confirm or refute that hypothesis. If he isn't getting better by tonight, then infection is not the main culprit.
Theory 2
He's having an awful fallout to the intense chemo he got last Thursday. The worst would be this weekend and then he'd start getting better, but then I wouldn't ever want to uses them again which leaves us pretty naked chemo wise I think.
Theory 3
The Myeloma is back in it's roaring dragon form.

Theory 2 or 3 means Hospice as soon as we can get him home. After a phone call with Dr Callander, who's on vacation this week and we want to be part of this decision conversation. Gil is not able to be an active conversant right now; I'll need to channel the Gil that I've internalized all these years.
But it's time to decide. today I hope

I will post tonight


No comments: