Saturday, June 30, 2012

Wake up call

I feel like I've been sleeping my whole life and am only just now being called to "wake up, wake up, this is your life, what you do makes a difference".   I used to say that about my middle schoolers, why it was that they were at that "ripe moment of desperation" where true change was possible.   I hope real change is still possible for me too.

I've noticed that I have a body, and that it's mine and that it's not in very good shape for the home stretch.  How to take care of it? Why to take care of it? Do I really want to live?  I have so little sense of what I (which one? the farmer, caretaker, poet, house designer?) want, in contrast to unconsciously gravitate toward (chocolate, giving away too much, imagining and then {exhaustion} trying to actually do it).

An old refrain, "WHO are you? WHY are you? WHAT do you WANT?"  is playing on the radio in the back room of my mind.      I don't know.      And I'm not sure how to find out, except to have patience with my patience.  I am still newly born to this single life where everything is newly experienced.  Newly, the same old with a different perspective.

This I know
I want to want to wake up; I'm willing to risk discomfort and put in effort to wake up.
I don't want to waste this ephemeral act of breathing.

No comments: