Sunday, January 15, 2012

It's been a little bumpy...

When we got home Gil seemed stronger and more "with it" but by Saturday night he started to fade into shortness of breath and profound weakness. Since that was what we'd experienced last week, I assumed that his hemoglobin and platelets were probably low again. When he had a reoccurring nosebleed this morn I was all over the on call doc and his recommendation to come in to the hospital for labs and probably transfusions.

Yet when all the tests came back, yes his platelets were low and they did give him a bag, but everything else was at least as good or better than when he left the hospital. What the hey? The guy is there disoriented and weak, weak, weak. The docs that were on today were the same ones he'd had during his recent stay and they ran tests on everything, and all they could come up with to explain it is his myeloma it's self. I never realized that myeloma has all those symptoms independent of the blood levels. So it's a wait and give the Velcade time to kick into gear plan.
And, oh yes, the reason he was better and able to do his ice cream trek was probably the massive amount of steroids they pumped into him for 4 days; he was probably just coming down from them on Saturday. Oh well. At least we know it isn't anything else like an infection or something. And we are blessed with skilled and creative doctors who won't give up 'til they turn over every rock in our road. It just may be a little bumpy for a while.

On the bright side, I was able to successfully plow our driveway after the 6" dump of snow last Thursday. Gil told me exactly what to do and had a sign up on the door when I came in saying "I am so proud of you". I did feel proud of myself too, as I've avoided getting that skill in the past and in general don't like to use large noisy machinery. I suspect it's a skill set which I will be getting some experience in.

No comments: