Thursday, September 17, 2009

Good blood!

Gil's blood is way ahead of expectations:
White blood 5.5
Neutrophils 2800
Red blood 11.5 (down a little but probably because he was slightly dehydrated)

Exhaustion and some nausea are his major issues still (though dehydration can exacerbate that, too). His doc gave him IV fluids today, so with Gil's serious dislike of needles, he's very motivated to keep up his fluid intake orally!

His doctor is very pleased with his progress. She said he was doing better than many 45 year olds! Which is not to say that this has been the proverbial "walk in the park" for him.
I think for both of us it has made us achingly aware of our aging and limitations, as well as how incredibly blessed we are. Even this year, when many garden staples have struggled, we have more than enough to feed ourselves, now and through the winter, as well as to lavish on friends. The raspberries are lush, the beans drunkenly flowering as though there will never be winter, and our two fearless canines have cornered a racoon up a tree! Though we may have to put up with over zealous barking through the night, hopefully he or she will tell the rest of the 'coons to stick clear of the Miller chicken house in the future.

I'm getting ready for my NYC stint by trying to get into gear as though October 4th will be the start of winter, as it's likely that winter, or hard freezes anyway, may come before I return. But my body doesn't believe it and so I poke along making pesto as though I have a month or more to finish up this year's harvest.
Of course, I never feel I'm ready for winter, and whatever hasn't been done has never been "a killing affair".

I think I've passed some invisible turning point. My body seems to be becoming more trusting that "we'll all get by with a little help from our friends", even when my mind still has a hard time asking for help. As a friend once said, I may be "cursed by being too competent". Perhaps I needed to be knocked up side the head to realize that if I don't do better basic self care, I may not be able to care for anyone else. Sixty years old isn't too late to learn. I hope.

No comments: