Friday, December 21, 2018

There's Good news and Bad news (or What I Learned at my Canadian Christmas Camp)

I'm definitely getting better, that's clear.   I can step up a 6" curb without pulling myself up with my hands. Each day this week I've been a little stronger.  This morning I found I was able to walk less wide stance, move my hips a little as I walked.  Though I may have some back sliding when I go home, I gather I should be able to retain most of this, Good News for sure!

The bad news is it appears I have metabolic toxicities from a variety of sources and the detoxifying process is complex, hazardous and possibly will require returning to British Columbia.   I have contacted a naturapath in Madison that I hope will be able to continue the protocol that's helped me here.

Ahh   but what I've learned being in Canada, there I can indulge. First, there's a subtle difference in the Canadian air, a little less PC, less wheelchair friendly doors, more actual Christmas carols and "Merry Christmas".  There are many, many ethnic groups here, mostly of different Asian decent but all decidedly Canadian.   It definitely gives a different feel.    But mostly what I've learned has to do with how it feels having all my daily habits up for grabs for 3+ weeks. Here's my takeaway.

I've been completely off of caffein and sugar and big meals.   I think I want to continue that with the occasional coffee or sweet  but only as something out of the ordinary to notice and savor.   I am way more hydrated now and realize that may be a major contributor to my improvement, and so I want to continue.  I've been walking in the water every 2-3 days at a local pool.  As some of you know I dislike going in the water and distain exercise for exercise sake as being like a gerbil in a cage. 
  
Get over it Pipes, you almost lost the use of this body, daily maintenance of some sort is the least you can do.   Maybe that's it.  My inner bear is stepping up and saying enough whining about what you like, this is a time to not argue with yourself (I always lose!) about what you feel like, or how much it costs, or is it the right treatment (as if I can out figure the docs).  This is the time to step up and decide if I want a body to use these next years,   then just DO IT!  Don't think about it, if you have good reason to trust that it's helpful, just do it and evaluate later. 
    
I used to teach the kids that it took 24 times in a row to make a habit.   I've had a few more than that this trip.  I wonder after 6 months how strong my soul muscle will be, as well as my legs. 

No comments: